Frequently Asked Questions

Why is this program better than the old one?
What are the benefits of meeting international signage standards?

Visitors from outside the province will recognize the signs and know what they mean, making it easier for them to find Alberta's attractions and services – everybody wins. It also means tourists will be driving more safely on Alberta's roads and highways.

What is a Logo Sign?

A Logo Sign is one with corporate logos or company name panels on it – logos / name panels represent businesses that provide essential services to motorists (gas, food and lodging) – the signs indicate that you can find these services in the upcoming community or along a service road. The signs are blue with white lettering, with custom corporate logo or name panels attached.

What is considered an essential service?

Services basic to travellers' needs, including;

See eligibility criteria for more information.

What are TODS?

Tourist Oriented Directional Signs (TODS) tell tourists where to find golf courses, tours, information centres and other tourist operations. TODS are blue with white symbols and white lettering. They use standardized symbols to represent each type of attraction, facility or service.

What is considered a tourist attraction, service or facility?

To be a tourist attraction, the attraction must have tourism as a core business activity. The business must provide an experience as opposed to a commercial product or service, and the majority of its customers must reside further than 80 km from the place of business. See eligibility criteria for more information.

How do I know if I qualify to purchase a sign or a space for my logo on a sign?

Eligibility criteria for this program is clearly laid out and easy to understand.There is a non-refundable application fee when submitting an application.  Applicants need to review their eligibility requirements closely, or contact Alberta Traffic Supply to ensure they fit in the program prior to submitting their application and fee.

How much does it cost to put my company logo on an essential services (Logo) sign?

See Permit Fees for all program costs. For further clarification, please contact Alberta Traffic Supply.

How much does it cost for a TODS Sign?

See Permit Fees for all program costs. For further clarification, please contact Alberta Traffic Supply.

Where do I apply for a sign if my business is located in a community?

Small communities (less than 15,000) are permitted to put up a sign at their highway entrance showing the attractions and facilities within the community.  The municipality chooses whether they wish to participate and which facilities and services best represent their community. Check with your municipality or visit the application section of this web site.

How do I apply?

It's easy to apply. Simply download the application form from this website and mail or fax it in.

How long does it take?

Response on eligibility will be provided within 30 days. After the permit is signed and fees are received by the Program Administrator, signs can be expected to be in the ground within 60 days.

Is my old sign permit still valid under the new sign program?

Existing permits are not valid under the new tourism sign program. Existing permits will expire under the old program during a three-year transition period. All permit holders under the old program will need to re-apply under the TODS and Logo Sign program in order to obtain a new permit.

What is included in my sign fees?

Three fees that relate to the new Sign Up Alberta program:

What options are available if my application is rejected?

Applications that are not approved likely do not meet the requirements of the program. To be eligible, your business may need to make necessary adjustments to meet eligibility requirements.

If you think your business is treated unfairly, you may have your application reviewed by an independent review group. A non-refundable fee will apply for the review process, and the fee will be credited toward the permit if the application is approved by the group.

What happens if I no longer need my sign?

It is your responsibility to notify Alberta Traffic Supply to arrange for the removal of your signs in the event of the business closing or it ceasing to be an eligible tourist attraction or service.


More information on these other tourism signs can be obtained from your local Alberta Transportation District Office.